Wednesday 26 October 2011

MEDI 323: Individual Practise: Unreal Estate Dreamscapes...

Basiclly my idea's have evolved out of my secound year project the Dreamscapes. I thought the project had more scope and very much enjoyed it.

To take it to the next level I want to combine the idea of the pictures painted by our thoughts, memories and dreams and add to this the notion I have of Unrealestate. Basically what this is is my idea that although something may not be phiscally real (My World of Warcraft charicter for example) we still feel we 'own' them and they can become integral parts of our lives and our personality. In essence these collections of Simulacra (things that are not in anyway tangeble) can have a huge impact on who we are as a person in the real world.

I thought these two ideas (the notions of both a Dreamscape and Unrealestate) are more and more interlinked today than ever before. I suppose a part of this process came about when I mentally stumbled on a shocking revilation about myself, I have been part of a specific online commmunity since the age of thirteen. I know in this day and age that would mostly eveoke a 'so what' kind of responce but that is entirely my point! I have effectivly 'grown up' online in a community. It has shaped who I am as person. Something compeletly untangeable, something almost not real. However to people of my generation and even more so the subsequent generations this stark fact is overlooked as part of everyday life, this would have been totally unheard of a few generations prior to mine, before the world wide web took its place as central to our daily lives.

Putting the argument of weather this a good thing or a bad thing completely aside (since it is just the way it is and that is really all there is to it) I wanted to show in images what life in the real world is like when you mix in the unreal. In my opinion it paints a more complete map of my thoughts, feelings, memories and dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment