Monday 8 November 2010

MEDI 259: Sound Idea

I was thinking back on the live performance of our tracks that we made using the sounds we found. Of all of them I feel mine was far more unconventional and not conforming to standard ideas of music. This got me thinking, maybe it would be a good idea to take something recorded in the real world and turn it into music. Thus making sound or noise follow a set idea of music.

I have very recently started appreciating electrically generated music more and more including things like EBM, Trance and Dubstep.
This has lead me to find a video tutorial on Dubstep Here that is also a fully formed track. Dubstep itself evolved in London when Dub music (that originally evolved from Reggae)  Fused with Garage. The end result is a very electronic beat heavy style of music.

So the crux of my idea was, using the conventions of the tutorial video and lots of natural sounds could I make a fusion of the ideas of Music Concret and the genre of Dubstep?

I think the mix would make for a very interesting track.

Further Idea: I was thinking I could make it from a fairly limited sound pallet for more interesting results, in essence I would like to see if I could make it from autumn sounds. These would include, wind, crunching leaves, rain, wind, puddles, squelchy leaves etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment