Wednesday 16 May 2012

MEDI 323: My Terms


Dreamscape: A digitally created image showing the pictorial representation of an imagined space.

The term Dreamscape lacks any real formal definition, yet it does have a shared notion of meaning. How I apply the term is probably the most common way people would understand it, as simply an image or ‘landscape’ of a dream, essentially forming a portmanteau of these two words and concepts.


Unrealestate: An abstract term categorizing material, which only exists conceptually or within a technological medium.

A portmanteau, but also a parody on the word real-estate. I haven’t found any definition matching mine but there is evidence of some kind of common notion that loosely fits with my definition. How I view this term is that Unrealestate is what exists both in cyberspace and purely conceptually. We perceive to have at least some degree of ownership over it, regardless of sates of copyright or actual legal ownership. Essentially this term can be used to describe the new entities that exist because of modern media and our ever-increasing relationship with the Internet. I think the best few examples of Unrealestate that I can give would be things like my World of Warcraft character. I pay £8.99 a month to play the game, but who actually owns my character? I didn’t draw her or program her, yet she is a part of me and I have spent effort and money on her. Another example would be fandoms in general, if you write fan fiction who actually owns the characters? Does buying the original book and mugs etc. entitle you to then feel some ownership over your fandom? Another common thing is for people to feel a degree of ownership over a song, first dances at weddings, the song playing the first time you met your partner, that particular song that everyone says is your theme tune… despite having nothing to do with the original creative input people still feel some degree of ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment