Saturday 3 October 2009

MEDI 118 (Personal Picture)


For my personal image I have chosen one of my favourite photos that I have taken. It is personal because it’s my work and one that I am very fond of. The picture itself is obviously of mushrooms in an autumnal forest area but there is a wealth of connotations to be drawn from it. My own personal attachments however may vary from someone else’s in the fact that everyone infers different things from pictures. For instance all the autumn leaves to some people could mean coldness as some may find autumn a very bleak time of year. I however am very fond of the season and thus have a great sentimentality attached to it that perhaps maybe furthers in some way the fondness of this picture. Also the mushrooms themselves are sometimes considered horrible and pests by people but I think they are very remarkable in the fact that they grow and survive and are very persistent. I think however the browns and the rotting conkers evoke a feeling of decay that is a sharp contrast to new green shoots, this I think represents nature very well in its cycle of death and rebirth but maybe someone else would not infer that. The pattern of the mushrooms also adds depth to the shot.
I do think that most people would see in their minds a scene of bleakness from the colours and apparent chaos of the dead leaves and broken twigs.  But then others still could infer a sense of hope as the mushrooms are thriving in the apparently bleak autumn. 
Of course it’s hard to think of pictures connotations when it is personal to you and because everyone will infer something different based on their experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment