Wednesday 16 January 2013

MEDI 322: Project Complete!


I couldn't leave the blog without wrapping everything up properly. So here is the critical ending of this project.

Project Overview Movie:




Critical Evaluation:

My project originally started off as collaboration with my friend Loren, owner of a bespoke / custom cake company called all kinds of cake. She wanted to expand the horizons of the company and establish a base with which she can work from and increase public awareness of her business in order to increase her revenue; helping to turn it from a hobby business into a more profitable, professional company and maybe eventually developing it into a shop.

In order to take her business forward we both decided a website was absolutely crucial, the amount of people online is ever increasing and having a medium with which to contact these people gives a huge advantage to a business. Creating a website was only the start of it however, Loren and I had decided that the website would need to be as professional as possible; in order to develop a really effective website we had to essentially set about developing the business as a brand, encompassing all aspects of business branding including things like a logo and graphics etc. As a collaboration this led to some really interesting and unique opportunities, both Loren and I have a keen eye for design and so developing a theme for the company as well as an eye catching logo (primarily for the website but with a view that it may eventually be used in a shop) proved to be really enjoyable and successful.

We both had very different ideas initially, due to our different interests and backgrounds. My initial approach to the project was drawing on a more surreal, anime style as I thought that it would be a completely unique approach, this was based on my own personal associations with cakes. Loren was firmly against this idea and wanted to use a theme based around the style of the 1950’s, this would evoke a more retro-diner feel, using soft, pastel colours and stylistic fonts. It didn’t take her long to convince me that this was the way to go and it made me look at the project with a different thought process. This led me to develop ideas that I probably would have not have even come up with had I gone on with the anime idea without Loren’s feed back in collaboration.

The decision-making was left mainly with me, everything creative like logos and themes were initially my development after we had agreed on a stylistic direction during our many meetings. I would then get extensive verbal feedback from Loren. Using this feedback I would go away, rethink and edit my ideas and get feedback again, repeating the process until we were both happy with a finely tuned, finished product. This was in no way an easy process, both Loren and I were having personal problems in our own lives and although the work was progressing, it was not at the rate that was necessary to stay on schedule. The development of an entire brand would be a full time job outside of the academic context and would probably need a specially assigned team to get everything done properly. The many unexpected obstacles and hurdles we both faced slowed us down in the development process. Eventually we did agree on a logo and a theme but it was much later in the project than I would have liked.

Because the project had hit a snag in terms of staying on track with the timetable, the process of developing a website with all of the features I had planned became a daunting task, particularly as I still had a lot of work to complete with the deadline looming closer and closer. In order to tackle this I brought in a website developer, another friend of mine, Paul. This expanded the collaboration further especially because I had to then relay messages between him and Loren’s Father Jim, who owns the domain names and server space intended to host the finished website.

Initially this was a very good move, Paul was very receptive of ideas and knowing the urgency at which I needed the website developed he began immediately. This enthusiasm did not last very long unfortunately and his progress became slow. I began to think that maybe he underestimated the level of work required and would not be able to complete the site to the agreed deadlines or to spec. He was very hard to reach at this point and I think it may have been down to embarrassment, owing to the fact that we are also friends and he had to let me down. I feel if he were a professional this would probably not have occurred. I personally did not have a problem that he would not be able to do it but it I would like to have been properly notified, so that I would have had a chance to correct the situation.  

I started to feel that I would need to try and create a contingency / back up plan, which involved me developing a website using an online website development tool called moonfruit. This was a challenge as I had not used the software before and had to learn it as I went because there simply was not enough time left. It proved however to be a very good tool as the website came together and there were easy features that gave me ideas of how to better improve the site. Loren liked the website I had developed as I was able to make a unique site which included most of the features I had originally planned as well as some extra ones, most notably the social widgets.

The project is going to be an on going one and now, just because the website is done and the branding has begun it does not mean that my role is finished. The project has been a huge learning curve; I initially thought that working with Loren, as a friend, would be a relaxed atmosphere and would go seamlessly. This was not the case and because of the friendship it was assumed that we would be more lenient on each other when unable to attend meetings due to personal issues, which set us back in our progress. If this was not an academic piece of work but an actual professional job (i.e. Loren had hired me or there was no prior relationship between us) I feel it would have gone smoother, Loren would have been more interested in deadlines as it would be her money being spent and it is likely she would have had a clearer agenda on the design side of things from the start.

Bringing in Paul was a decision I did not take lightly and although it appeared promising at the beginning it quickly went on to prove fruitless, I do not blame Paul for this, I was misinformed about what he could do and I dropped him in the deep end, he was just trying to help a friend as a favour and probably didn’t understand the scale of the work that needed to be done. Again, if this was a professional project I would have had to spend money bringing in somebody who I knew could get the job done by way of extensive research, in this project I lacked the resources to be able to do that.

I feel that although there were numerous snags and hiccups within all stages of the project the fact that Loren and I are both happy with the end result proves that it was a successful collaboration. In reality, whenever an agreement is made to work with other people, you are taking on board all of their problems and issues, in a professional setting a contract would be drawn up to ensure that these are minimalized when it comes to getting the work done. In this project the opposite happened and the problems were exacerbated, coming before the work because of our existing understanding and friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment