Thursday 29 September 2011

MEDI317: Extended Dissertation: First Proposal

Proposed Title: Internet Culture 

Summary: For my Dissertation I would like to look at the entity I know as the internet culture. I want to see how it has evolved out of cultures from around the world and also then how it feeds back into modern culture. Does it create an over culture? Does it draw from an over culture? Could it even be classified as a culture? How do things you do online affect your real life social status? I feel it’s a very valid subject as the internet is vast becoming the most valued resource for recreation and communication.

Things that I think are included in internet culture:
Memes
Social Networks
Blogs
YouTube
MMO’s
Internet  & Anonymity
Internet as a human right?

I would like to research this in-depth as I am interested in what I perceive to be a ‘feedback-loop’ between reality and the effective ‘world’ of cyber space. More and more we are basing our life in and around our computers, with casual social gaming, MMO’s, forums, social networking sites, blogs and YouTube. It’s a really broad topic that I hope will narrow down with research and time. I feel that Its incredibly relevant and current as the effects of the internet grow and spread as it itself grows and spreads. 

Proposed Initial Research Methods and Lines of Enquiry:  
 I intend to study any publications I can find on this matter. I would like to look at professional academic papers and books since I think it would add weight and validity to my subject. However The internet itself is an important tool and I think it may be a good idea to use it as fully as I can. I could use social networking sites and forums to collate opinions of people that actually use the internet. I think it would be useful to watch any documentaries and or films about this subject area since it is so broad.

No comments:

Post a Comment