Thursday 31 March 2011

MEDI 264: Interactive Sound and Vision - Tone Matrix

Ok so bassicaly for my project I want to create a Tone Matrix like the one here that I have thought brilliant for quite a while now.

This is proving to be vastly harder in Max than I thought. So far I have the sound playing, and I have the matrix registering the on and off commands. Considering I have been so ill and have missed all of the Max tutorials I do feel I am doing really well at this point.

I am however having huge difficulties getting the sounds to be pre-loaded in at this stage and also for the sounds to take thier ques from the matrix.

Update1:
I have finally managed to make the matrix talk to the sounds. The main problem now is that all of the dots switched make the same sound if you switch any of them on. They are all feeding into the same sound.


However at least if they are then turned off the sound stops. I also havent managed to make the sound loop or auto load.

Update2:
I have so far managed to link the sound to the correct button but it doesnt work via the matrix. It only works via the on off switch that I have made for the matrix.
I am really not sure how to get this working.

Upadate3:
After struggling for ages with no real progress I decided to mine Youtbe as the educational resorce it is and find some kind of tutorial. Thankfully I found one. I now actually know what it is I am doing and can produce what I want to produce.
This is the result. an actuall working tone matrix. It uses synth as opposed to sounds that are external so its much easier to controll. It is fully working and also users can change the pitch of the sounds with the added number boxes. Its a fun little toy to play with and is actually interactive. 

I decided that for the purpose of this project the tonal controlls are not a very important feature. However since some of the time the tones produced are increadably loud I was thinking of volume controlls. This also lets you pick which speaker is the loudest so its usefull. 
 
I could easily put back the pitch controlls but I don't feel that there is a huge amount of point in having them. 


The main idea would have been to hook this up to some form of motion capture that would see the grid in an actuall real life space. For instance applying a grid of detection to an area of floor either via arieal tracking or some sort of motion detection cable on the ground. Going by this theory I would be pontentially able to create a hybrid of the tone matrix and one of thoes floor keyboards. This would make one very intresting interactive toy. I also think that this kind of technology can be applied to many uses for adults and children alike. It could be used as a learning tool or with the right sounds can enrich an enivronment to add a layer of imersion.

No comments:

Post a Comment