Thursday 2 December 2010

MEDI 263: Reasearch

With my pictures looking best in a series i have decided to draw inspiration form other artists that work with series such as Sophie Calle: Sophie Calle is a French artist who works with photographs and performances, placing herself in situations almost as if she and the people she encounters were fictional.

I really like the very structured style despite very whimsical topics. This very much appeals to me and I would love to reflect a little of that in my work. 

However the main reason for having my work in a series is from the Japanese background of Manga books and then further out to comic book work. It sounds fairly sad but as a child my ideas of art were very influenced, as I'm sure a fare few children were, by comic books. I love the art and style and the liner manner of presentation. Graphic novels and the like are really a narrative mainly told with pictures and are very sparse on the words.



Obviously though my pictures are about food. So I have also looked at similar photographs and subject matter to mine.

I have noticed that warmer colours for food like the yellow lighting that Sainsbury's uses tend to evoke a homely feel. I am uncertain as to the cause and effect but a more orange glow to pictures of food tend to make me hungry. Maybe it is due to the brainwashing of modern life or the ploy of using yellower lights is well thought out. Not withstanding I have decided to keep the slightly more yellow hues of my pictures intact and to tweak the images not matching so that they now match the set. It personally makes me hungry when I look at the images of my sushi as I feel any picture of food should.   

No comments:

Post a Comment