Wednesday 2 December 2009

MEDI 118 (Critical Evaluation)

Critical Evaluation:

My Film is an adventure film that explores fantasy and reality from the views of a role player.  It is light hearted and playful with the switch between character and person. It focuses centrally around one battle and in specific an interaction between two friends.

The storyboard is not as complete as I would have liked it to be because I couldn’t find photos to fit all the scenes. I used this method originally to compensate for the fact that I feel I am bad at drawing. However I think given the end result of this method I may try and improve my sketching for the next story board I work on. Also maybe I shall experiment with different techniques so that I have a wider range of story boarding options. Alternatively I would try and organise a photo shoot but since this is such a complex film storyboarding it for anyone without a considerable amount of sketching skill would be hard.

The Script I am quite happy with and although it had its teething problems it eventually worked out ok. I feel I have found a style that is comfortable for me and easy to understand. I feel that I have covered and conveyed the story successfully by this and that the story board only adds a feel for the colour of the film and not the description or action.

Considering I’m more practised with storyboards than scripts I am a little surprised at how this turned out. However I feel it was valuable to experiment with the technique I used for story boarding since it has let me explore new ways of approaching it.

My idea hasn’t been inspired by anything other than LARPing or Live Action Role Play itself, which I think is a plus point as this makes for a somewhat original movie. I am pleased with the overall idea of it however given more time I would have expanded on the ‘it wasn’t really real’ theme and maybe have polished or rounded it off a little better, perhaps even developing it further.

I have consistently developed my story up to a script level and the end result is I think a true reflection of the story but has been made a little more interesting.  Given more time I feel I would have fleshed out the plot perhaps a little better and also expanded upon the story taking it farther than one encounter.

I have included character descriptions in the script as I felt it would make the script as a whole easier to follow, having already been given a background on the characters, also I feel it helps set the scene and to the readers ability to picture the battle knowing what people are dressed like and armed with.

The actual use of pictures from the events in the storyboard I think helps as it is showing you what it looks like there and would help the costume and location be replicated. I would maybe next time for the models use actors and that way ensuring that I get the facial expressions I want.

I have enjoyed this project but would have liked more time to explore different techniques and methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment